Rosarito is a coastal city located in the Mexican state of Baja, California. According to the census of 2020, the population of Rosarito is around 115,000. It is approximately 20 miles (30 km) south of the U.S.-Mexico border.
A popular tourist destination in Baja, California, Rojarito is known for its stunning beaches, vibrant nightlife, and delectable Mexican cuisine. It s also home to many luxury resorts and residential communities, making it a popular spot for both short-term visitors and long-term residents.
Language: The city has a diverse population, a mix of Mexican nationals and expatriates from around the world. Many residents and visitors are bilingual, speaking both Spanish and English, making it an easy place for English-speaking travelers to navigate.
Jump To The Content
- 1 Rosarito Weather
- 2 Things to do in Rosarito
- 2.1 Rosarito beach, Mexico
- 2.3 Visit the Rosarito Beach Hotel
- 2.5 Explore the Rosarito Art Walk
- 2.7 Take a tour of the Baja Studios
- 2.9 Visit the Rosarito Cultural Center
- 2.11 Shopping in Rosarito
- 2.13 Rosarito-Ensenada Scenic Road
- 2.15 Enjoy the nightlife
- 2.17 Take a day trip to Ensenada
- 2.19 Visit the Rosarito Children’s Museum
- 2.21 Visit Puerto Nuevo, rosarito
- 2.23 Christ of the Sacred Heart
- 2.25 Hiking in Rosarito, Mexico
- 2.27 Have fun flying over Rosarito, Mexico
- 2.29 Tijuana
- 2.31 Rosarito Papas and Beer
- 3 Safety in Rosarito
- 4 Best Hotels in Rosarito, Mexico
- 5 Best Restaurants in Rosarito
Rosarito has a Mediterranean climate characterized by mild winters and hot summers. The average temperature in the summer is around 80°F (27°C), and in the winter, it is around 60°F (15°C). The city receives very little rainfall; most rain falls between November and April.
Things to do in Rosarito
Rosarito beach, Mexico
Rosarito, Mexico, is home to several beautiful beaches with unique features and attractions. Here are a couple of Rosarito’s most well-known beaches:
- Playas de Rosarito: This is one of the area’s most popular and well-known beaches. It is a wide, sandy beach that stretches for several miles and is known for its clear waters, great surf, and beautiful scenery. Visitors can spend the day swimming, sunbathing, and surfing or enjoy a variety of water sports such as jet skiing and parasailing.
- Popotla: This is a small, secluded beach located just a few miles south of Rosarito. It is well known for its pristine waters & excellent snorkeling and diving opportunities. The beach is also home to many small seafood restaurants where visitors can try local cuisines.
- La Fonda: This is a famous beach for locals and tourists alike. It is a wide, sandy beach with many beach clubs and restaurants where visitors can enjoy various activities, such as volleyball and soccer.
- Punta Bandera: This rocky beach is just a few miles south of Rosarito. It is known for its excellent surf and is a popular spot for experienced surfers. The beach also offers great views of the surrounding coast and is a great place to watch the sunset.
- Calafia Beach: This is a wide, sandy beach located just a few miles north of Rosarito. It is known for its beautiful scenery and clear waters. Also, it is a popular spot for swimming and sunbathing. The beach also offers a variety of water sports, such as jet skiing and parasailing.
- Santo Tomás: This is a beautiful, secluded
Visit the Rosarito Beach Hotel
This historic hotel is one of the most famous landmarks in Rosarito and offers a variety of amenities to its guests. Built in the 1920s, it was one of the first major hotels in the area and has played host to some famous guests over the years. Visitors can enjoy a spa, casino, and several restaurants and bars.
Explore the Rosarito Art Walk
The Rosarito Art Walk is an annual event in November; it features a variety of art galleries, street vendors, and live music. This event is a great way to experience the local art and culture of the city.
Take a tour of the Baja Studios
These famous movie studios have been used to film some Hollywood blockbusters, such as Titanic, Master and Commander, and Pearl Harbor. The studio offers tours to the public, giving visitors a behind-the-scenes look at how movies are made and the chance to see some of the sets and props used in famous films.
Visit the Rosarito Cultural Center
The Rosarito Cultural Center hosts various cultural events and exhibits, including art shows, music performances, and dance performances. The center is a great place to learn about the local culture and history of the city.
Shopping in Rosarito
The city has many local artesanal markets and shops where visitors can buy unique souvenirs and gifts. Many shops sell traditional Mexican crafts such as pottery, textiles, and jewelry.
Rosarito-Ensenada Scenic Road
This beautiful drive takes you through the picturesque Baja countryside and offers excellent views of the ocean and mountains. It’s a great way to explore the area’s natural beauty and see some of the local wildlife.
Enjoy the nightlife
Rosarito, Mexico, is known for its beautiful beaches and outdoor activities, but it also has a vibrant nightlife scene. The city has a variety of bars, clubs, and restaurants that offer live music and entertainment.
It’s worth noting that the nightlife scene in Rosarito can be pretty lively, especially on weekends and holidays, but it also depends on the season and the timing of your visit. The city may not be as vibrant as other party destinations in Mexico, but it does offer a variety of nightlife options for visitors looking for a good time.
Take a day trip to Ensenada
This nearby port city is known for its delicious seafood and wine. Visitors can take a boat tour to go whale watching, visit the local wineries or take a walk around the historic center.
Visit the Rosarito Children’s Museum
This interactive museum is great for families and children and offers a variety of educational exhibits. It’s a great way to keep children entertained and learning while on vacation.
Visit Puerto Nuevo, rosarito
Puerto Nuevo is a small fishing village located just a few miles south of Rosarito, Mexico. It is known for its popular destination and delicious seafood for tourists looking to try local cuisines. Here are a few things to do when visiting Puerto Nuevo:
1. Try the local seafood: Puerto Nuevo is famous for its seafood, particularly its lobster. Visitors can try a variety of seafood dishes, such as lobster burritos, lobster tacos, and fried lobster, at one of the many small seafood restaurants in the village.
2. Visit the local artisan market: Puerto Nuevo is home to many local artisans who sell a variety of handmade crafts such as pottery, textiles, and jewelry. Visitors can browse the market to find unique souvenirs and gifts.
3. Take a boat tour: People can take a boat tour to see the coasts around them and see some of the local wildlife. The boat tour will take visitors to see seals, sea lions, and whales, depending on the season.
4. Visit the local beach:
- The beach in Puerto Nuevo is small but offers clear waters and beautiful scenery. Visitors can spend the day swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing on the beach.
- Visitors can take a cooking class to learn how to make traditional seafood dishes from Puerto Nuevo. The course will teach visitors how to make lobster burritos and fried lobster.
- Take a walk around the village: Visitors can take a walk around the village to see the traditional Mexican architecture and fishing boats and get a sense of the local culture. The village is small, so it can be explored quickly.
5. Visit the local church: The church in Puerto Nuevo is a small but beautiful building that offers a good view of the village. Visitors can look inside the church and learn more about the local history and culture.
Enjoy the nightlife: Visitors can enjoy the nightlife in Puerto Nuevo; there are a few bars and restaurants that play live music and offer a variety of drinks and cocktails.
Christ of the Sacred Heart
The Christ of the Sacred Heart is a statue of Jesus Christ in Rosarito, Mexico. The statue is located on a hilltop overlooking the Pacific Ocean and is a popular pilgrimage site. It is a statue of Jesus Christ with his arms open, representing his love and acceptance of all people. The statue is made of concrete and is approximately 50 feet tall.
The Christ of the Sacred Heart statue is a pilgrimage site for many Catholics who trek up the hill to pray and pay their respects. Many people believe that the statue has healing powers, and it is not uncommon to see people leaving offerings or lighting candles at the statue’s base. The statue also offers a panoramic view of the coast, a popular spot for tourists and locals alike to take pictures.
A local businessman built it in the late 90s to commemorate the death of his son. Since then, it has become a tourist spot and a pilgrimage site.
Hiking in Rosarito, Mexico
Hikes range from easy beach walks to challenging mountain ascents. Popular trails include:
- The Rosarito-Ensenada coastal trail.
- The La Mision waterfall trail.
- The Cerro Colorado trail.
The region offers beautiful ocean views and the chance to see local wildlife and plants. It is essential to be prepared for the hike with proper footwear, water, and sun protection.
Have fun flying over Rosarito, Mexico
Rosarito, Mexico, offers a variety of ways to experience the area from a bird’s-eye view, including hot air balloon rides, paragliding, and ultralight flying.
- Riding in a hot air balloon gives you a unique view of the area and is a popular way to watch the sunrise or sunset.
- Paragliding is another option for flying over the coast, allowing for a more exhilarating experience as you soar above the beach.
- Ultralight flying is also available, offering an even more intimate and personalized flying experience.
These activities are a great way to take in the area’s natural beauty and get a different perspective on the landscape. It’s important to note that these activities usually require a reservation or booking and could vary depending on the weather conditions.
Tijuana and Rosarito are separate cities in the Baja California region of Mexico. The largest city in Baja, California, is Tijuana, located just south of the US-Mexico border, while Rosarito is a smaller city located about 30 minutes south of Tijuana.
Tijuana is a culturally rich and diverse city known for its vibrant nightlife, street food, and various shopping opportunities. It is a popular place for tourists who visit the city to experience its rich culture and nightlife. On the other hand, Rosarito is a coastal city known for its beautiful beaches, outdoor activities, and scenic routes.
Rosarito Papas and Beer
Papa’s & Beer is a popular bar and restaurant chain in Rosarito, Mexico. The chain is known for its lively atmosphere and party scene and is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike. It is an adult playground with seven-plus bars. The restaurant has many different kinds of food and drinks, including a wide selection of beers and traditional Mexican fares such as tacos and burritos. Papa’s & Beer is also known for hosting live music and entertainment events, making it an excellent spot for those looking for a good time.
It’s worth noting that Papa’s & Beer is one of the most famous places to party in Rosarito, and if you’re searching for a dynamic atmosphere, this is the place to go and have a good time. However, it’s essential to be aware that the party scene can be pretty lively and may not be suitable for everyone.
Safety in Rosarito
Like any other tourist destination, safety is important when visiting Rosarito, Mexico. Like other areas of the Baja California region, the city has been affected by the high levels of violence and crime that have affected many parts of Mexico in recent years. But it’s also important to remember that tourists can feel safe in many areas of the city and that most visitors to Rosarito do not experience any safety issues.
It is important to take standard safety precautions while visiting Rosarito, such as avoiding walking alone at night and being aware of your surroundings at all times. It’s also a good idea to prevent flashing valuables or large amounts of money and be cautious when using ATMs or credit cards.
It’s also recommended to be aware of the latest security situation and consult your country’s travel advisory regarding the region. Registering your trip with the embassy or consulate of your country in Mexico is also a good idea.
It’s also important to note that lifeguards do not patrol the beaches in Rosarito, so be careful when swimming or participating in water activities.
Overall, Rosarito is a safe destination for tourists, but it’s important to be aware of potential risks and take the necessary precautions to stay safe.
Best Hotels in Rosarito, Mexico
There are several great places to stay in Rosarito, Mexico, depending on your preferences and budget. Some popular options include:
- Rosarito Beach Hotel: This iconic hotel is located right on the beach and is known for its lively atmosphere and party scene. The hotel features several bars, clubs, a casino, and a variety of room options.
- Hotel Coral and Marina: This hotel is located on the marina and offers a variety of room options, including a swimming pool, restaurant, and bar.
- Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa: This luxurious resort is located on the beach and offers a variety of room options, including a swimming pool, spa, and restaurant. It’s an excellent choice for people who want a calmer and quieter place to stay.
- Casa del Mar: This hotel is located on the beach and offers a variety of room options, a swimming pool, and a restaurant. It’s a great choice for people who want something good for the whole family.
- Punta Morro Beach Resort: This resort is located on a beautiful beach and offers a variety of room options, a swimming pool, and a restaurant.
Best Restaurants in Rosarito
Rosarito, Mexico is known for its delicious Mexican cuisine and many great restaurants. Here are a few popular options:
- El Nido: This restaurant is known for its delicious seafood and traditional Mexican dishes. It’s also a great spot for enjoying a beautiful sunset over the Pacific Ocean.
- Mariscos El Michoacano: This seafood restaurant is known for its fresh and delicious seafood dishes, including the local specialty “Tostadas de Ceviche.”
- Taqueria El Yaqui: This taqueria is known for its delicious and authentic street-style tacos at a very affordable price.
- El Huevo: This restaurant is known for its delicious breakfast options and traditional Mexican dishes; it’s a great spot to start your day.
- Casa de la Langosta: this restaurant is located on the beach and offers a variety of seafood options and traditional Mexican dishes.
- El Pescador: This restaurant is known for its delicious seafood, including the local specialty “Cochinita Pibil,” a traditional Yucatecan pork dish.
- Baja Brewing Company: This brewery and restaurant offer a variety of delicious beers and traditional Mexican dishes.
Hey, lovely folks out there! This is Shajia Ferdous, a traveller. Last few years I have been travelling with my partner or friends.
Let’s Pack The Bag is all about traveling and for travellers. You can find mind-blowing ideas of holiday destinations or places you want to visit once in a lifetime. Find me on Instagram, Twitter , Linkedin or Pinterest here. Thank You.